Good thing, where have you gone?!

No comments
I'm so sorry it's been so long since my last post, but I have a very good excuse: I had a baby! Our adorable little Lionel was born a whole 15 days late, on a picturesque snowstorm day at the end of January AND as you can imagine life's been a bit of a whirlwind since then, and we're still over the moon with joy!

I do still manage to find time to cook and bake and explore new recipes and I am writing notes and compiling little gems for new posts, but finding the time to sit down and properly edit them and put a new post together is next to impossible nowadays... To add insult to injury my computer has died! So, with all those obstacles in mind I'm currently working on a mini series of posts which I will try to create via the Blogger iPhone app with iPhone photos as well. We shall see how that works out... As as designer I'm usually pretty picky with my layout and photos, but desperate times call for desperate measures (and worse comes to worse I can fix up those posts to my liking when I get a new computer in September!).




























My lil' guy is breastfeeding around the clock and it has become apparent that wholesome healthy home cooking from quality ingredients has never been more important to me! I have to be sure to eat well on a daily basis in order to produce enough nourishing milk for my baby to thrive on. In the 'rookie parent' early days once my partner went back to work, it was especially challenging to find time to prepare food some days, and I was starving!!! Well, with my handy little iPhone I surfed from the sofa while nursing and with a little research and some trial and error compiled this rather successful cookie recipe which doubles as a great pro-lactation snack. It's full of ingredients to keep both new mommas (and dads) going on those tough days... Grandparents and other visitors seem to like them a lot too!

What an adorable sous-chef!

















Marion's Good Thing, Energy-on-the-go Cookies
(why yes, they make great lactation cookies!) - with oatmeal, raisins, coconut, seeds and more!)

Yield: around 4 dozen

INGREDIENTS
(although not specified I use organic ingredients as much as possible!)

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose or wholewheat flour
  (I like to mix them - you can play with mixes like spelt, whole wheat, all purpose etc),
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature & 1/2 cup coconut oil
  (or 1 full cup butter/coconut oil)
• 2 tbsp coconut manna (optional)
• 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar (or 1/2 cup honey)
• 3/4 cup raw cane or granulated sugar
• 3 large free range eggs
• 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
• 5 tbsp of Flaxseed meal, 2 tbsp of Chia seeds, both soaked in a bit of water
  (they'll absorb a good 1/4-1/3 cup)
• 3 tbsp of unhulled sesame seeds
• 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
• 2 cups raisins (or combo of raisins, dried cranberries, other fruit (chopped dried apricots) etc)
• 5 tbsp husked pumpkin seeds
• 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

With an electric mixer (or with a strong mixing arm!), cream butter, coconut oil (+manna) and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix in wet flax/chia mix and then sesame seeds. Add flour mixture; beat just until combined. Add oats, raisins, coconut and pumpkin seeds; quickly mixing in each ingredient until just combined.
I am very lucky to have a great "friend of the family" source for farm fresh eggs - I only ever buy free range! :)

Drop heaping tbsp or desired size measures of dough, 1 inch apart, onto baking sheets. Flatten slightly.

Bake until cookies have spread slightly and are golden brown and soft to the touch, around 10-12 minutes. Cool a few minutes on sheets; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Please note:
While many of the ingredients of these cookies have been chosen for their milk enriching and galactogogue qualities these are indeed cookies that can happily be shared with the whole family!

ALSO: Think you won't eat 4 dozen? You can drop as many as you like on a cookie sheet but instead of putting them in the oven pop them in the freezer. Once frozen, remove from sheet and store in the freezer in a ziplock or airtight container. It won't be long until you're cooking them up again (but you probably have to add a few minutes to the cooking time).
Handy freezer cookies!


No comments :

Post a Comment