When life give you lemons...

2 comments
WOW it's HOT out. 
After a bit of a brief blogging hiatus I'm back in action and and thankfully SO IS SUMMER! Warm weather is in full swing and sunny skies are upon us and so is BBQ season! So while I'm busy preparing some great summer recipes to share with you here's an easy refreshing drink for you to make and kick back with after a long day's work. You can even slip a little alcohol in and turn it into a cocktail if you like. ;)

LEMONS. Any one of you who knows me well enough, knows how much I love lemons and how my pantry is never quite complete without a healthy supply of happy yellow citrus. There is no end of use for this versatile fruit from a wedge in a drink, some lemon juice to bring out the flavour in a great dish such as a nice pan-fried fish or even a couple of slices in a hot cup of water as a morning eye-opener or as a nice after dinner digestive. I even save my discarded lemon half-rinds to use as a great cutting board scrubber (add some sea salt, turn rind inside out and scrub away!) or I pop them into the hot water when we're doing dishes and they not only smell great but the lemon oil helps cut grease! If only I lived in a warmer climate I would definitely have a lemon tree in my yard...


Classic Summertime Lemonade
Serves 3-4 (you'll need a small pitcher ~ around 1 litre)
ingredients
• 2-3 juicy lemons (about 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice)
• 1/2 cup sugar or other sweetener (I happened to have some maple sugar on hand - yum! Maple syrup, honey or a simple sugar syrup would work nicely too)
• 2.5 - 3 cups filtered water
• a good handful of ice cubes, plus more to serve

Squeeze every last drop out of those lemons and pour the juice into a small pitcher (you can strain it if you like, but it's totally not necessary...) Add sugar/sweetener and stir to dissolve and then stir in filtered water. Taste. I like my lemonade a bit on the sour side and not too sweet. You may want to add more water or sweetener to taste.
Aim for a basic breakdown of 1.5 parts lemon juice, 1 part sugar and 6-8 part water plus ice.
(MY SECRET is to make it a bit on the sweet side and add fresh ice cubes to each glass prior to serving...) Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint or some raspberries (if you want to be fancy) and serve.
Hope you enjoy it!


"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... 
And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party." 
– Ron White

2 comments :

  1. I have recently taken to making lemonade in my cocktail shaker. Ingredients-wise, it's similar to yours, except that I also like to add a few drops of bitters. My favourite is cherry bitters. Making it in the shaker changes the flavour in a subtle way, perhaps because of lemonade is mixed with a lot of air as it is shaken. Also, the the lemonade is super chilled in the shaker and requires no additional ice. Then there is also the elegance and satisfaction that comes with pouring a special liquid out of a shaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemons! I keep meaning to go to Loblaws and pick up bags of their organic ones and the Meyer lemons they've now stocked.
    Maybe back some Madeleine's as well!

    ReplyDelete